.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

How to run a marathon in 10 days

I wish I could run like no one's timing, I wish I could let my soul lay bare, I wish I could just go a prancing, I wish music's in the air. PS: All characters in this blog are a pigment of my motley palate, any resemblance to real persons is purely intentional.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangalore, India

Monday, September 11, 2006

Sept 11th: The Company I keep

The mist cleared in another postdawn, as I strolled along the path I had so many times made contact with. As I moved slowly I saw familiar unknown faces, our mutual contact being the path that we run along. As I moved slowly I felt out of place, which seemed to be reflected on those familiar unknown faces, as I sometimes sustain a constant pace depending on the locations at which we cross paths while plotting them in opposite directions around the lake. But today was different as I moved to park myself on a bench, book in hand. Then they began to appear, one by one, out of the thin crisp morning air. First Mayank and Roma, then Ajoy and finally Karthik. Ayush, Amrit and Bikash couldn't make it, while AJ was running a marathon of his own, breaking records only to be broken again :-) Most of the chosen souls share profits with me from the same company, except for Roma and AJ. This was deliberate since they know that one can't run on bread alone.

I had earlier delegated responsibilities to some of them to interrogate me on my runs at work and play. Last year my erstwhile roomie Ayush was a big help as he often caught me napping in bed when I should have been out there running. You need to convince yourself of a good enough reason to run, to counter the thousands of good enough reasons to sleep, especially those times when you prefer the moonlight to the simmering sunlight and in turn the priceless zzzzzz to the moonlight. I mean, times when you get jealous of the cocks cause even they are fast asleep. I would sometimes "Errrr..." or "wat u talkin about man" my way out but other times their queries would make me feel guilty of my noble intentions.

So the intent of this groggy get together was to get to know what it feels like to run a bit long and to riiiiiiiiise and shiiiiiine baby. "Goooooood Morrrrrning Banngaaloooore!". Yeeeaaaaaawwwnh whatever! Hmmmm... Okay.... Good enough for starters. The rendezvous point was directed through the route that passes in front of Bangalore Hospital, so as to indirectly give directions to the same. We ran a little while before we decided to call it a morning. Did they see the beauty and rewards in waking up really early and going for a run. It doesn't come in a day... But all anyone can do is take you there and show you what they see, like the early morning hikes with my dad into the wilderness. Now that they feel the pain of puffing like an engine and the subtle beauty of the surroundings, will they refuse to interrogate me anymore, rub cigarette butts into my hands. But I still need their help to channelise my energies. I think I'm in good Company but the last mile needs more that that, atleast for me. Mayank called the team of Ayush, Ajoy and Amrit as team 'A' i.e. 'AAA', who would try to help me out in my impending exploits and mindless incantations. But I decided to give Mayank a place in that team too, for the following reason.

I sometimes get into this trance of introspection regarding the professional marathon runners, "Unke paas body haiin, stamina haiinn, endurance haiiinnn, will power haiiiinnnn. Aur tumhare pass kya hain..." then I hear that inner voice resonate, "Arre murkh!!! Tere paaass.... Tere pass MAAA hain... Alice ki MAAA..." and err... oh yeah, "Hain!" (Amit Uncle style).

PS: Gotta run and errr ... anyone remember how hide and seek is played.... Mayank seems to be all pepped up by that emotional talk, that he wants to beat me.... up.... "Hain!"...



Sept 12th: Hell Freezes Over

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home